Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 46:29 — 32.0MB)
Today’s guest has been named one of the Top 5 Social Media Influencers in the world by Forbes.com. He earned that title by telling the truth about social media marketing, with his signature sardonic humor. Namely that companies are largely using it incorrectly and getting distracted by every big shiny object that comes along. In an era where everyone is clamoring to sell you their social media marketing kit, he has nothing to pitch from the stage – so there’s no holding back. The stories about how we get it wrong help us get it right.
He and his wife are an amazing team as co-owners of UnMarketing Inc and co-hosts of The UnPodcast. They are also co-authors of four best-selling business books, including their latest, “UnSelling: The New Customer Experience” which was named “Sales Book of the Year” by 1-800 CEO-READ. They also released the 3rd edition of their first bestseller, with a new subtitle “UnMarketing: Everything Has Changed and Nothing Is Different.” All this while caring for their five children, two dogs, and two cats.
Prior to running his own business, he was a music industry marketer, national sales manager, and professor at a business school. Now he is solely focused on speaking at events for companies across a wide spectrum from PepsiCo, Adobe, and Red Cross, to Cirque du Soleil, Saks 5th Avenue and Fidelity Investments.
Please join me in welcoming Scott Stratten.
Would you leave an honest rating and review on iTunes? Or Stitcher? They are extremely helpful and I read each and every one of them. Thanks for the inspiration!
On the Schmooze is on C-Suite Radio.
Listen to our show and many other great
business podcasts at C-SuiteRadio.com.
In this episode we explore:
- his thoughts on leadership “I don’t think leader is a self-given title. You only are a leader if people choose to follow you. Leading is a verb.”
- lessons he learned after the recession shut down his successful viral video company
- his “conscious decision to not go for endless growth.”
- the necessity of self-awareness: “If we can’t identify where we’re the hole or the weak spot, we can’t improve it.”
- the value of networking at events: “Nothing beats face to face. Virtual is not a substitute for face to face, it’s an addition or an enhancement.”
Stay tuned until the end of the episode to hear what I thought were the key takeaways you could put into practice this week and benefit from for years to come.
- Scott Stratten on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Buy his books, “UnMarketing: Everything Has Changed and Nothing is Different” and available October 2017: “Unbranding: 100 Branding Lessons for the Age of Disruption”
- I mentioned that C-Suite TV did a story on the family who created The Squatty Potty – don't have one yet? Get it on Amazon.
- Contactually (free 14-day trial) – questions about this? I'm happy to help you get set up for success.
Do you host a conference or convention and want your attendees to feel that your event was incredibly valuable because of all the connections they made?
I work with associations and companies to design events that increase engagement and create a welcoming culture for all attendees, especially your first-time attendees. The result is that long-time attendees, presenters, and board members have a host mentality and all attendees have the tools to strategically build relationships and their professional network at your event. If you want to increase ROI for your attendees and therefore their retention, email me to schedule a call.
Is networking an important, but your least favorite, part of your job?
My coaching clients felt the same way. Through a combination of technical tips, accountability, and a bit of inspiration, I help leaders stop wasting time networking and start building great relationships. If that is what you’re looking for I would love to chat, email me to schedule a call.
- Interested in booking me to speak? Learn about my Art of the Schmooze session on effective and inclusive networking, and the other sessions I offer
- Schedule a 15-minute phone or Skype chat to discuss working together
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- @RobbieSamuels on Twitter and Instagram
- New to my website? Start here
- On the Schmooze podcast archive and show notes for recent episodes
Subscribing and leaving a rating and review on iTunes helps this podcast be discovered.
Need help using iTunes? 10 Steps to Subscribe, Rate & Review on iTunes. Thank you!
Sometimes I'll recommend a product or service for which I receive an affiliate commission. I only recommend things and people I admire.