Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 39:38 — 36.3MB)
Today’s guest believes everyone has the seeds of a great network within reach and that to establish genuine relationships we must proactively meet people in person.
She is an investor, advisor, speaker, author, and the founder of an advisory firm working with growth companies. She has invested in several innovative private companies which solve old problems in new ways.
Inspired by the experiences of thousands of people she has interacted with over her thirty-year career, she wrote “Meet 100 People: A How-to Guide to the Career and Life Edge Everyone's Missing.” I know you’re going to appreciate how she reframes networking to make it accessible, joyful, and life-affirming. Her work is especially relevant for young professionals looking to build valuable life-long relationships.
Please join me in welcoming Pat Hedley.
Would you leave an honest rating and review on Apple Podcast? Or Stitcher? They are extremely helpful and I read each and every one of them. Thanks for the inspiration!
In this episode we discuss:
- her thoughts on leadership: “Leadership means inspiring others to pursue a common and worthy objective.”
- how she was shy growing up but learned to push herself through helping her entrepreneur mom.
- how she joined speech club in high school and how it was her first glimpse of her leadership potential.
- her “meet 100 people” campaign, the impact it has had, and the opportunities it has presented.
- the professor analogy.
- how she networks by sending information to people when it reminds her of them, and by scheduling get-togethers with people.
- Pat Hedley on LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Pat’s TEDx Talk “Meet 100 People.”
Books mentioned in this episode:
- “Meet 100 People: A How-to Guide to the Career and Life Edge Everyone’s Missing” by Pat Hedley
- “Friend of a Friend…:Understanding the Hidden Networks That Can Transform Your Life and Your Career” by David Burkus
- Learn more about Elon Musk.
- Listen to my interview with Dorie Clark.
- Listen to my interview with David Burkus.
- Learn more about Jayson Gaignard.
Robbie Samuels is a keynote speaker and relationship-based business strategist who has been recognized as a “networking expert” by both Inc. and Lifehacker. He is the author of the best-selling business book Croissants vs. Bagels: Strategic, Effective, and Inclusive Networking at Conferences and has been profiled in the Harvard Business Review, Forbes, and Fast Company. His clients include associations and corporations including Marriott, AmeriCorps, Hostelling International, and General Assembly.
He has been featured in several books including Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It by Dorie Clark and The Connector’s Advantage: 7 Mindsets to Grow Your Influence and Impact by Michelle Tillis Lederman. He has guest lectured at many leading educational institutions including Harvard University, Cornell University, Brandeis University, and Northeastern University. Robbie is the host of On the Schmooze podcast which features his networking strategies and talented professionals sharing untold stories of leadership and networking.
Interested in booking Robbie to speak? At www.robbiesamuels.com/speaking you'll find video clips and a description of his signature session, Art of the Schmooze.
Relationship-Based Business Strategist
Are you ready to create a Relationship-Based Business Plan that will help you achieve greater impact (and income)? The next cohort for The M.O.R.E. Program for Entrepreneurial Women begins in Spring 2019.
- You want to have a greater impact and increased income. The problem is that there are so many options for how to build your business that you can feel stuck, overwhelmed, and like you're running out of time.
- The reason options are overwhelming is that you're looking at them as a series of disconnected steps when — to make the most of your time — you need a strategy that connects only the most important and highest impact ones.
- Why? Because you know it's true that if you try to do everything, you will accomplish nothing. Which means, to achieve your goal, you have to invest in a strategy to put time on your side.
- How? This program will help you find the clarity to determine what is the right next step for your business. A book? A podcast? An online course? Masterminds? Speaking on bigger stages?
- Together we will design a 12-month Relationship-Based Business Plan that will allow you to stack your successes to create momentum and leverage your limited time.
- Read about this program and then schedule a complimentary 60-minute session to see if it's a good fit. www.robbiesamuels.com/more
Robbie believes that networking is a marketing strategy and coaches entrepreneurs (of any gender) to grow to the next level through relationship-based business strategies and hands-on support. Interested to learn more? Send Robbie an email.
- Connect with Robbie on LinkedIn
- @RobbieSamuels on Twitter and Instagram
- New to his website? Start here
- On the Schmooze podcast archive
Subscribing and leaving a rating and review on Apple Podcasts helps this podcast be discovered.
Need help using Apple Podcasts? 5 Steps to Subscribe, Rate & Review. Thank you!
Affiliate Links: Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links above are “affiliate links”. This means that if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products and services I use personally and believe will add value to my listeners. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
This post was exported in one click from Google Docs into WordPress with Wordable.