I'm excited to have with me today, a member of LeadBoston class of 2015. LeadBoston is an executive education program, that focuses on the inner workings of Boston and socially responsible leadership. I'm proud to be a member of the 2015 class as well. My guest is also a member of the ONEin3 Council (relaunched as Spark Boston), a project of the Mayor of Boston, that aims to maximize the talents of Boston's 20-34 year old demographic, which is one third of the city's total population.
He is a consultant focused on creating opportunities for women and people of color within the world of real estate development. He works with developers to craft and monitor their diversity and resident employment objectives. He designed and manages a multi-year commercial real estate internship partnership between a real estate developer and the University of Massachusetts. He works at KAGE, a multifaceted consulting firm with expertise in diversity solutions. Prior to joining KAGE, he cofounded SportYourself, a new media company focused on creating a dynamic video platform.
Please join me in welcoming Senam Kumahia.
(This was recorded in 2015.)
In this episode we explore:
- his thoughts on leadership – “Leadership is having a vision or goal and developing a strategy to get to it and really working with others to understand that goal and how they can help in achieving it. It’s part art, part science. Knowing when to push, when to resist, when to demand more.”
- how he has had to accept that results don't happen overnight,
- his intention to read more frequently because “leaders are readers,”
- how being open to new experiences, off his career road map, has led to unexpected and amazing opportunities.
Stay tuned until the end of the episode to hear what I thought were the key take-aways you could put into practice this week and benefit from for years to come.
- Senam Kumahia on LinkedIn and Facebook
- KAGE website
- Spark Boston (formerly ONEin3 Council Boston) website, Facebook, and Twitter
- Learn more about LeadBoston.
- Contactually (free 30 day trial) – questions about this? I'm happy to help you get set up for success.
- @RobbieSamuels on Twitter and Instagram
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- New to my website? Start here.
- Hire me to speak at your company: learn about my Art of the Schmooze session on inclusive networking and the other sessions I offer.
- On the Schmooze podcast archive
Subscribing and leaving a rating and review on iTunes helps this podcast be discovered.
Need help using iTunes? 10 Steps to Subscribe, Rate & Review on iTunes. Thank you!
Podcast guest suggestions welcomed. Email me your ideas.