Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 34:48 — 23.9MB)
Today’s guest has experience in the world of fair housing and affordable housing. At the time of this recording, she had been working for the City of Boston since 2004 with ever increasing responsibilities. Her goal was to expand choice in housing for Boston residents. In early 2016, building on that experience and her previous roles in partnership management, marketing, promotions, and conference planning, she took on a Business Development role at Sumu, an innovative start-up working on housing search app.
Taking this leap has also allowed her to pursue her interests in writing and film and video production. She is a Board member of Women in Film and Video-New England and freelances as a production coordinator and producer for creative and commercial film and video production, including with Good Natured Dog Productions.
Since 2007, she has served as a Founding Board member and Administrator for the Shirley Jackson Awards, which recognizes outstanding achievement in the literature of psychological suspense, horror, and the dark fantastic.
Please join me in welcoming JoAnn Cox.
Please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes! They are extremely helpful and I read each and every one of them. Thanks!
In this episode we explore:
- her thoughts on leadership – “Leadership, like other skills that you have, you can improve them over time, or you might have leadership skills and not be aware of it.” “Leaders are mentors, guides, and can provide vision.”
- the challenges she faced communicating to constituents who are getting information through a wide variety of channels – some with limited access to technology and/or speak a language other than English
- how she works on being present in the moment
- how she found professional development useful even as an experienced professional
Stay tuned until the end of the episode to hear what I thought were the key take-aways you could put into practice this week and benefit from for years to come.
- JoAnn Cox on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Shirley Jackson Awards
- Learn more about LeadBoston.
- Contactually (free 30 day trial) – questions about this? I'm happy to help you get set up for success.
- @RobbieSamuels on Twitter and Instagram
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- New to my website? Start here.
- Hire me to speak at your company: learn about my Art of the Schmooze session on inclusive networking and the other sessions I offer.
- On the Schmooze podcast archive
Subscribing and leaving a rating and review on iTunes helps this podcast be discovered.
Need help using iTunes? 10 Steps to Subscribe, Rate & Review on iTunes. Thank you!
Sometimes I'll recommend a product or service for which I receive an affiliate commission. I only recommend things and people I admire.