Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 39:30 — 37.8MB)
Today’s guest helps workplaces build inclusive cultures by addressing barriers to equity and access.
She is a diversity and inclusion strategist, author of an award-winning book, “The Diversity Advantage: Fixing Gender Inequality In The Workplace,” and Seattle University's Professional-in-Residence in Communication.
She was also recognized as one of 30 management thinkers to watch globally, as part of the Thinkers50 2019 Radar.
Please join me in welcoming Ruchika Tulshyan.
Would you leave an honest rating and review on Apple Podcast? Or Stitcher? They are extremely helpful and I read each and every one of them. Thanks for the inspiration!
In this episode we discuss:
- her thoughts on leadership: “To me, leadership is to inspire others to get uncomfortable and lead them to take action to make changes in the world.”
- how it took her a long time to think of herself as a leader because of messaging that says women, and especially women of color, don’t get to be leaders.
- her experience growing up in culturally-diverse Singapore, and how that has framed her passion for working with underserved people.
- how she was always a storyteller but didn’t realize there were careers where she could tell stories for a living.
- her method for teaching her students about privilege by having them do a “privilege walk.”
- how she intentionally networks and has created intentional communities, especially for people who are considered a minority.
- Ruchika Tulshyan on LinkedIn and Twitter.
- “How Managers Can Make Casual Networking Events More Inclusive” Harvard Business Review article by Ruchika Tulshyan
Books mentioned in this episode:
- “The Diversity Advantage: Fixing Gender Inequality In The Workplace” by Ruchika Tulshyan
- “Brave, Not Perfect: Fear Less, Fail More, and Live Bolder” by Reshma Saujani
- “Girls Who Code: Learn to Code and Change the World” by Reshma Saujani
- Learn more about Oprah.
- Learn more about the OpEd Project.
- Learn more about Melinda Gates.
Interested in booking Robbie to speak? Learn about his signature Art of the Schmooze session on strategic, effective and inclusive networking, and the other sessions he offers.
Thinking of hosting a podcast? Writing a book? Want to launch an Amazon bestseller? Ready to make the most of your next conference experience? Robbie offers several free Masterclasses on these topics. Each one of these Masterclass replays is over an hour-long and contain valuable takeaways to help you grow your business or in your career. Find all the free Masterclasses at www.robbiesamuels.com/masterclass.
Are you ready to create a Relationship-Based Business Plan that will help you achieve greater impact (and income)? The next cohort for The M.O.R.E. Program for Entrepreneurial Women begins in Spring 2019.
- You want to have a greater impact and increased income. The problem is that there are so many options for how to build your business that you can feel stuck, overwhelmed, and like you're running out of time.
- The reason options are overwhelming is that you're looking at them as a series of disconnected steps when — to make the most of your time — you need a strategy that connects only the most important and highest impact ones.
- Why? Because you know it's true that if you try to do everything, you will accomplish nothing. Which means, to achieve your goal, you have to invest in a strategy to put time on your side.
- How? This program will help you find the clarity to determine what is the right next step for your business. A book? A podcast? An online course? Masterminds? Speaking on bigger stages?
- Together we will design a 12-month Relationship-Based Business Plan that will allow you to stack your successes to create momentum and leverage your limited time.
- Read about this program and then schedule a complimentary 60-minute session to see if it's a good fit. www.robbiesamuels.com/more
- Connect with Robbie on LinkedIn
- @RobbieSamuels on Twitter and Instagram
- New to this website? Start here
- On the Schmooze podcast archive and show notes for recent episodes
Subscribing and leaving a rating and review on Apple Podcasts helps this podcast be discovered.
Need help using Apple Podcasts? 5 Steps to Subscribe, Rate & Review. Thank you!
Affiliate Links: Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links above are “affiliate links”. This means that if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products and services I use personally and believe will add value to my listeners. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
This post was exported in one click from Google Docs into WordPress with Wordable.