Today’s guest is a sought-after speaker and writer. She works with people and organizations that want to lead with authenticity to create happier, more effective teams.
Described as the confidence fairy godmother we all need, she has worked with Fortune 500 companies and professional associations from across North America. She has shared her insights in over 150 articles in publications including Huffington Post, Forbes, and Harpers Bazaar.
Her book “You Got This: The Ultimate Negotiation Guide for Professional Women” provides a fresh and instantly applicable toolkit for anyone ready to develop their authentic voice in negotiation.
Please join me in welcoming Lelia Gowland.
Would you leave an honest rating and review on Apple Podcast? Or Stitcher? They are extremely helpful and I read each and every one of them. Thanks for the inspiration!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Her thoughts on leadership: “Leadership is about authenticity and getting increasingly clear about who I am and how I want to show up in the world.”
- How talking about really difficult things in her life is not something to be ashamed of but the universal human experience.
- “You never misbehaved.” We learn about what Lelia was like when she was a kid from the source, her loving parents.
- How she learned to quiet the people-pleasing voices in her head.
- The three factors that help her define the alignment of her strengths and figure out how she wants to live her life.
- Her being a strong, curious kid AND also being aware of what people wanted from her.
- All of the things she wanted to be when she grew up and the song she created to help her remember. YES! She sings it on the show.
- How she achieved all of her life goals while wanting to “be a doctor during snack time.”
- “I only cry once a day, I think I’m doing great.” The justification she gave her college boyfriend to describe how she was thriving in college.
- How the New Leaders Council affected her life and life trajectory.
- Her first speech in Florida and how successful it was even with a huge tech glitch.
- How she made space to grow and serve the people she is called to serve.
- How she came out to her newsletter community with the fear that she would lose her community.
- How her business evolved when she came out.
- How she nurtures and sustains her network.
- What she’s looking forward to in the next year.
Books mentioned in this episode:
- “You Got This” by Leila Gowland
- Listen to my episode with Anne Bono.
- Listen to my episode with Blake Fly.
- Learn more about the New Leaders Council.
- Listen to The Only One in the Room podcast.
Subscribing (or following) and leaving a rating and review wherever you are listening helps this podcast be discovered.
Who is Robbie Samuels?
🟧 I'm a multi-passionate entrepreneur. I geek out about community-building, relationship-building, thoughtfully designing space for a conversation, and anything about bringing people together to create connections. I believe quality engagement is about inclusion and belonging.
Depending on what caught your eye about my work, you may be surprised to discover that I do more than you were initially interested in.
What do I do?
🟧 As a business growth strategist, I coach entrepreneurial women in their 50s and beyond who are looking to grow their impact and income through new revenue streams by helping them grow their audience before they launch their product or service.
🟧 As a virtual event design consultant and executive Zoom producer, I help my clients reimagine their in-person events by utilizing all of the opportunities available through digital and analog tools. Rather than replicating the in-person event, we create a powerful virtual experience.
🟧 Before the pandemic, and again as in-person events return, I support organizations designing conferences that create opportunities for participant engagement so they can follow through on their networking intentions.
I've been producing events in one form or another since I was in college in the 90s and providing business growth strategy advice for nearly as long.
⭐ I published two books that have collectively received over 400 Amazon reviews,
⭐ I was invited to do a TEDx on my signature networking technique,
⭐ I have hosted a podcast since 2016,
⭐ when the pandemic shuttered in-person events, I swiftly reinvented myself resulting in a successful multi-six-figure business, and
⭐ my clients include Feeding America, the California WIC Association, and other national and statewide mission-driven organizations.
How can I help you?
Here are some of the ways my clients describe me…
✅ business growth strategy coach
✅ virtual event design consultant & strategist
✅ executive Zoom producer
✅ professional speaker
✅ emcee (virtual and in-person)
✅ podcast host
✅ virtual presentation skills trainer
and I'm likely leaving something out…
Read my back story at www.robbiesamuels.com/about
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- @RobbieSamuels on Twitter and Instagram
- New to my website? Start here
- On the Schmooze podcast archive – weekly since July 2016!
SIGN UP for my free monthly #NoMoreBadZoom Virtual Happy Hours – www.NoMoreBadZoom.com
Affiliate Links: Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links above are “affiliate links”. This means that if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products and services I use personally and believe will add value to my listeners. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
This post was exported in one click from Google Docs into WordPress with Wordable.